Median Household Income in the City of Toronto

This map shows the median household income of every Census Dissemination Area in Toronto, based on the 2011 National Household Survey collected by Statistics Canada. This is the smallest unit these data are reported on, and are only available to me as a graduate student at Ryerson. I accessed these data via the excellent University of Toronto CHASS research site.





I realize these data have their limitations including sampling bias and small geographic unit sample size, but I still think it is interesting to see the overall patterns. I was inspired to review these data after a recent graduate class discussion about the "Three Cities of Toronto" project by Dr. David Hulchanski at the University of Toronto. His work involved mapping real income change between 1970 and 2005, not only a single year as shown above.

UPDATE: I have added one more map below showing Median Household Value. These data appear to have much more spatial clustering, with significant division between the central area and out suburbs.